Saturday, November 24, 2007

Skytran Flim-Flam in Marin County

From the Novato Advance:

Maybe, but Marin County Supervisors Judy Arnold and Charles McGlashan are willing to take a look at technology designed by the southern California company UniModal Inc. that could make these traveling times a reality.

The two supervisors will host UniModal representatives as they discuss their, Sky Tran, at a community meeting Dec. 5 in the Board of Supervisors Chamber in the Civic Center from 4 to 6 p.m. The public is welcome to attend.

“We’ll all learn together. I don’t know if this would work,” Arnold said. “I don’t know enough about it, but I want to learn more.”


Don't waste your time, Judy.

This is what the so-called inventor of Skytran Douglas J. Malewicki said about Skytran on the Skytran website:

"Aaaarrrrgghh! Ain't no such animal - yet. It is still just a concept that makes a lot of theoretical sense. It needs money to tear into it properly - a lot. Why it hasn't happened yet is mostly my fault. I detest paperwork and details. I can't see myself applying for any government energy or innovation grants because of all the bureaucratic crap that I would be stuck with. If they supplied paperwork bozos along with the grants to take care of their required paperwork, it might be more appealing. I guess I also don't want to deal with all their other silly rules either. If I want to hire all black engineers (and I know a bunch of dam good practical ones), to the exclusion of Hispanics, Women, Polaks, etc. the government won't let me. I start reading the grant application forms and rules and never finish - because I toss it all in the garbage first in disgust. Basically, I'm selfish. I prefer to think and create. I have plenty of other non-hassle projects I can be involved in to feed my brain endorphins or whatever. I am definitely not the right kind of personality to carry this project to fruition in the real world!"


That statement was removed the Skytran website, but can be viewed HERE.

Skytran claims it is less expensive to build than LRT because Skytran can be built with... get this.... robots:

The light weight per foot of the track design also allows the use of a semi-automated track forming manufacturing robot (much simpler than the Robosaurus machine) that enables a two shift crew to deploy one mile of two way track per day. This can be compared with proposed monorail trains (weighing 100,000 pounds) which require guideways costing well over $40 million per mile and many years to build.


That statement was also removed the Skytran website, but can be viewed HERE.

Skytran is perhaps the most ridiculous of the PRT schemes, which is why I call it the "Smoking Gun of PRT Absurdity".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: