Saturday, July 15, 2006

Welcome "Oil is for Sissies" Readers!!!

Oil is for Sissies is a great blog with a focus on bicycling. "Jim" has this astute observation in his post about Dump Mark Olson:

I suspect that the PRT advocates don't really want PRT, as much as they want to hinder efforts to construct LRT lines by arguing for "alternatives".


Jim is amazed at the comments I get from the PRTistas:

The funny thing is that I sort of remember hearing of PRT once or twice, but I barely knew what it is until now, and I had no idea that its supporters were so rabid.


PRTistas used to be more militant. They used to disrupt meetings.

A few years back my wife and I were giving a talk at Macalester College about how to visualize and depict sustainable communities. A PRTista started yelling and screaming at us and threw some Taxi 2000 leaflets at us. I later learned from other transit advocates had their meetings disrupted in a similar way. They are better behaved now (except on the internet).

Jim has this to say about Mark Olson:

At any rate, I don't know much about Mark Olson except that his web page kind of scares me, especially the part about "Rebuilding foundational principles that made america great!". In my experience, people who use that sort of rhetoric are usually as far removed from "foundational principles" as they are from proper capitalization.


Exactly. Mark Olson, like his theocratic counterpart in the Minnesota Senate Michele Bachmann, pushes the wacky ideas of Michael Chapman and David Barton who says that the founding fathers were theocrats like Mark Olson and Michele Bachmann. That's about as believable as... expecting that homeowners would consent to cutting down half the trees on their streets for an elevated PRT guideway with a clear view into their bedroom windows.

No comments: